Social Care changes in the UK

Changes on the Way for UK Social Care-01

It is no secret that our population is ageing and therefore living for longer. Between 2005 and 2015 the individuals; living in the United Kingdom, who were aged 65+ increased by 21% compared to 85+ increasing by 31%. (BBC News- Health)The people also living with a disability has also increased, reaching over 1 million people in 2016. Suggesting that scientists have been able to find cures or ways to reduce death statistics through the use of medicine, surgery or through changes of lifestyle.

In 2016, over 1.8million people requested for an assessment by the government, across the UK, only 452,900 of these people received long-term care by an adult social care worker, in the community.  72% of these people were aged 65 and over, and the remaining 28% were aged between 18 and 64.

Eligibility for care and support from the council

Across the nation, there is a new criteria for care and support that is arranged by each council, this to make sure that everyone has the same opportunity to receive equal levels of care.

You are eligible if you meet the following:

  • You require needs due to a physical or mental condition/illness.
  • Due to these needs you are unable to achieve two or more of these outcomes: maintaining personal hygiene, nutrition, a habitable home environment or being appropriately clothed.
  • There is a significant impact on your wellbeing.

Across the UK

In England, Social care is not free due to private providers supplying this level of care. This covers the cost of daily visits from your community nurse or healthcare assistant, as well as living full-time in accommodated care homes.

In Northern Ireland, social care is free for individuals aged 75 and over.

Scotland provides free personal care that helps with the washing and dressing of patients, in their own homes as well as care homes.

In comparison to Wales, who cap their care spending to £60 a week. For people with savings of more than £24,000 they pay the full capped amount, help is entitled to those who do not fall in this bracket and therefore need more financial stability.

The 2020 care caps

Proposed for the UK, a £72,000 cap (Age UK) would be introduced by April 2016 for eligible care needs; however this cap was postponed until April 2020 due to government delays. The cap covers both people receiving care in their own home and within a nursing home.

‘Hotel Costs’ like bed and board, if they are living in a care home, are not covered as these are charged separately. A £12,000 annual cap will also hopefully take place in the future to limit spending costs of these facilities as a whole within the Social Care sector.

Currently within the UK, if you have between £14,250 and £23,250 in savings you are eligible for care that the council will help contribute to. Individuals with savings over the £23,250 limited cap have to fund all of their own social care.

Compared to 2020 where the government will increase the upper limit to £118,000 as well as the lower limit being raised to £17,000 therefore extending the amount of people entitled to financial support for their care costs.

References:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-38907054

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/home-and-care/care-homes/social-care-funding-changes/care-cap-and-means-test-changes/

http://www.cheshireeast.gov.uk/care-and-support/assessment/requesting-an-assessment.aspx