There are many benefits to working as a locum doctor – increased flexibility, independence and pay being just a few of the highlights – but why not check out our list of do’s and don’ts for some more practical advice?
- Nab yourself a set of scrubs for each hospital trust you work at – you want to make sure you have some in your size handy
- Always carry your own roll of micropore
- Take your own lunch to avoid spending money on hospital canteen food
- Obtain copies of your occupational records and your hepatitis B / HIV records before you register with us – it just helps make the process quicker
- Ensure you ask a couple of friendly doctors from your current hospital trust to act as your references
- Keep an up to date portfolio
- Build a strong relationship with your Recruitment Consultant so that we can offer you exactly what you need and want
- Make sure your timesheets are signed by the correct consultant to avoid delays in payment
- Get an authorised claims form if your hospital trust are paying your travel expenses
- Ensure you park legally in the hospital – no-one gets latitude for illegal parking and neither hospital nor agency will foot the bill
- Make sure you are dressed smartly and professionally, following the dress codes of the hospital you are working for
- Ensure you have photographic ID or an agency ID badge with you when you start your shift
- Speak to other doctors and refer them to your Recruitment Consultant – this way you can be sure to benefit from Total Assist’s reward schemes
- Feel pressured to take shifts that you don’t want
- Work back to back shifts – you will need to sleep well to maintain a high standard of care
- Have unaccounted gaps in your CV
- If you stay late, you may not get paid for extra hours beyond those you have been confirmed for.
NB: We would only encourage working late in an emergency situation.
[testimonial name=”Jason Sergeant” who=”Sales Director” imagelinks=”https://totalassist.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Jason-e1404144889246.jpg” vertical=”no”]”Jason has over 10 years of experience within the healthcare sector and more specifically with locum doctors and hospitals nationwide.”[/testimonial]
[tagline_container type=”one or two” link=”https://totalassist.co.uk/availability/” title=”Submit your availability” second_line=”to enjoy flexible locum shifts” iconlink=”only for type2″][/tagline_container]